Consolidated Communications is working with Ciena (NYSE: CIEN) to upgrade its wireline network to support new and emerging 5G services and applications. Leveraging Ciena’s Adaptive IP™ solution, Consolidated Communications will address the critical need for better, more reliable connectivity as its customers shift to a more virtual environment.
- Consolidated Communications is a leading fiber provider in the U.S. and delivers innovative broadband and business communications solutions to consumer, commercial and carrier customers across a 23-state service area. Leveraging an advanced fiber network spanning 46,300 miles, Consolidated Communications offers a wide range of solutions, including high-speed Internet, data, phone, security, cloud and managed services.
- The Ciena partnership enables Consolidated to utilize its next-generation network to present new FlexEthernet-based slicing options with unprecedented performance. This allows the Consolidated network to act as a managed service provider to carrier customers using the network. Consolidated provides all the infrastructure a carrier needs without having to provide for the gear itself, allowing speed-to-market options in areas that wireless carriers find hard to reach, along with operational expense savings over the life of the implementation.
- Consolidated will leverage Ciena’s Adaptive IP™ solutions including the 5164, 5166 and 5170 Routers, along with the 8180 Coherent Networking Platform, to provide standards-based IP connectivity and network slicing that is both open and optimized for 5G xHaul connectivity.
- Ciena’s Adaptive IP solution will also provide Consolidated Communications with next generation network automation and control by leveraging Ciena’s Manage, Control and Plan (MCP) domain controller, the multi-vendor Blue Planet Multi-Domain Service Orchestration (MDSO) and Blue Planet Route Optimization and Analysis (ROA) software. These capabilities will enable Consolidated Communications to make more informed decisions based on data-driven analytics to plan and activate network applications faster, while also making it easier to troubleshoot and resolve IP service issues.
- “Anticipating the impact 5G will have on our lives, Consolidated is preparing our network to handle the next-generation of connectivity. Working with Ciena allows us to incorporate automation and analytics capabilities into our network so we can deliver the 5G services our customers are demanding.”
- Tom White, Chief Technology Officer, Consolidated Communications
- “As Consolidated Communications navigates the journey to 5G, they need a network that can adapt to fluctuating bandwidth demands and handle advanced services and applications critical to our digital lifestyle. With Ciena’s automated, open and lean Adaptive IP solutions, we’re helping to reduce network complexity and create a superior experience.”
- Bruce Hembree, Vice President and General Manager of Sales in the Americas, Ciena
About Consolidated Communications
Consolidated Communications Holdings, Inc. (NASDAQ: CNSL) is a leading broadband and business communications provider serving consumers, businesses, and wireless and wireline carriers across a 23-state service area. Leveraging an advanced fiber network spanning 46,300 fiber route miles, Consolidated Communications is a top-10 fiber provider in the U.S. offering a wide range of communications solutions, including: high-speed Internet, data, phone, security, managed services, cloud services and wholesale, carrier solutions. From our first connection 125 years ago, Consolidated is dedicated to turning technology into solutions, connecting people and enriching how they work and live. Visit www.consolidated.com for more information.
Ciena (NYSE: CIEN) is a networking systems, services and software company. We provide solutions that help our customers create the Adaptive Network™ in response to the constantly changing demands of their end-users. By delivering best-in-class networking technology through high-touch consultative relationships, we build the world’s most agile networks with automation, openness and scale. For updates on Ciena, follow us on Twitter @Ciena, LinkedIn, the Ciena Insights blog, or visit www.ciena.com.
Note to Ciena Investors
You are encouraged to review the Investors section of our website, where we routinely post press releases, SEC filings, recent news, financial results, and other announcements. From time to time we exclusively post material information to this website along with other disclosure channels that we use. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements that are based on our current expectations, forecasts, information and assumptions. These statements involve inherent risks and uncertainties. Actual results or outcomes may differ materially from those stated or implied, because of risks and uncertainties, including those detailed in our most recent annual and quarterly reports filed with the SEC. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding our expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies and can be identified by words such as "anticipate," "believe," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "should," "will," and "would" or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
+1 (410) 694-5761